n the dynamic digital landscape, membership websites have become pivotal for organisations aiming to foster a dedicated community and provide exclusive content or services. To stand out as a 'best in class' platform, a membership website must offer a range of features that cater to both members and administrators. Let's delve into 10 killer features that can elevate your membership website to the next level.
- Intuitive User Onboarding: First impressions matter, and a seamless onboarding process is crucial for attracting new members. Implement an intuitive and user-friendly registration process with the minimum level of steps. Reduce friction by allowing members to sign up using social media accounts, and provide a clear path for profile customisation. An engaging onboarding experience not only enhances user satisfaction but also increases the likelihood of members staying active.
- Personalised Member Profiles: Encourage your members to express their individuality by offering customisable profiles. Allow users to add profile pictures, bios, and other personal details. This feature fosters a sense of community and helps members connect on a more personal level. Additionally, personalised profiles contribute to a vibrant and dynamic community atmosphere.
- Tiered Memberships and Subscription Plans: Different members have different needs (and budgets). Introduce tiered membership plans to cater to a diverse audience. Each tier should offer unique benefits, encouraging members to upgrade for exclusive content, early access, or premium services. This not only adds value for members but also generates additional revenue streams for the website.
- Robust Content Management System (CMS): Content is king, and a powerful CMS, such as Memba CRM can be the backbone of a successful membership website. Ensure that your platform provides an easy-to-use content management system with features such as scheduled content releases, drip campaigns, and multimedia support. This enables administrators to maintain a steady flow of fresh and engaging content for members.
- Interactive Discussion Forums: Building a sense of community is pivotal for the success of a membership website. Incorporate interactive discussion forums where members can engage in conversations, share experiences, and seek advice. Admins should have the ability to moderate discussions, ensuring a positive and constructive environment.
- Exclusive Access to Events and Webinars: Memberships should come with perks, and one powerful incentive is exclusive access to events and webinars. Organise virtual events or webinars featuring industry experts, and reserve attendance for premium members. This not only adds value to memberships but also positions your website as a hub for industry insights and networking.
- Detailed Analytics Dashboard: Empower administrators with data-driven insights through a comprehensive analytics dashboard. Understand member engagement, track the performance of different content types, and identify trends. This information is invaluable for making informed decisions, refining content strategies, and enhancing the overall user experience.|
- Secure Payment Gateway Integration: Security is paramount, especially when handling sensitive information like payment details. Integrate a secure payment gateway, such as Stripe, to ensure seamless and safe transactions for memberships and subscriptions. Members should feel confident that their financial information is protected, engendering trust in your platform.
- Mobile Responsiveness: In an era where mobile devices dominate internet usage, a mobile-responsive design is non-negotiable. Ensure that your membership website is accessible and user-friendly across various devices and screen sizes. A seamless mobile experience not only enhances member satisfaction but also expands your reach to a broader audience.
- Automated Email Campaigns: Communication is key to member retention. Implement automated email campaigns to keep members engaged. From welcome emails to renewal reminders, use automation to deliver personalised messages at the right time. This feature streamlines communication and helps administrators stay connected with members effortlessly.
In conclusion, a best-in-class membership website is built on a foundation of user-centric features that cater to the needs of both members and administrators. From an intuitive onboarding process to advanced analytics, each feature plays a crucial role in creating a vibrant, engaging, and secure online community. By incorporating these killer features, your membership website can rise above the competition and establish itself as a leader in the digital membership space.
Sandlebridge has worked with numerous membership organisations across the private, public and third sectors. Our membership CRM - Memba - was launched last year and at its core is the ten features that are ready baked into every membership site we produce. For a no-obligation demo or initial consultancy please contact the author of this article, Phil Holt.